Thursday, February 7, 2008

The pen is mighter than the sword?

Barring any jokes about the penis mighter I have often wondered how many people out there have played or at leasted watched in on a pen and paper gameplay session. Personally I enjoy pen and paper games such as Dungeons and Dragons, Star Wars RPG, Call of Cthulhu, and the like. I usually end up being the Game or Dungeon master because apparently I have a way with words and a vivid imagination. My players never have any complaints about being bored.

So how about it? How many of the readers or passers-by out there have run, played in, or watched a game? How many of you have even harbored the notion of playing?

I ask this because in a few short months Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition is being released. That means it's time for me to update my books and rewrite my campaign world. Again. My original world was written for Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition. I changed it when Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (2e) came out, and again when 3rd edition came out. With the release of 3.5 I made a few changes as well.

4th edition will change some of the core mechanics of the game and hopefully, as they are touting, it will make things easier. The question is will it be easier for the players or the poor DM's that have been changing and changing their content over and over again with each release?

No comments: